Monday, December 31, 2007

Journaling through the book of Job, part 4

Thoughts on Chapters 25-31

Chapter 25
Bildad continues to pile up words.
25:4a How can man be righteous before God

Chapter 26
Job responds to Bildad.
Job 26:4 With whose help have you uttered words, and whose breath has come out from you?

Chapters 27 & 28
Job maintains his innocence. God does as He pleases and the Godless will eventually face His wrath. Man does great exploits in pursuit of the riches of silver, gold, and fine jewels but he searches not for wisdom - because he does not realize it’s worth.
Certainly God knows where it (wisdom) is hidden:
Job 28:23 "God understands the way to it, and he knows its place.
Job 28:28 And he said to man, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.'"

Chapter 29 & 30
Job summarizes his defense.
Men used to have respect for me and listen to my words before all this tragedy came upon me.
Now they only mock and torment me.
God has done this:
Job 30:19 God has cast me into the mire, and I have become like dust and ashes.
Job 30:20 I cry to you for help and you do not answer me; I stand, and you only look at me.

Chapter 31
Job insists, “I’m innocent“. Oh that there were balances to weigh me out and confirm my innocence. If I had sinned I would and should bear just punishment if I exchanged the glory of God for idols, then I would deserve all this.
Job 31:24 "If I have made gold my trust or called fine gold my confidence, 31:25 if I have rejoiced because my wealth was abundant or because my hand had found much, 31:26 if I have looked at the sun when it shone, or the moon moving in splendor, 31:27 and my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand, 31:28 this also would be an iniquity to be punished by the judges, for I would have been false to God above.

If I sinned I deserve all this and more, but I maintain my innocence before God and before you all.

No comments: