Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Only in Michigan...

It was about 40 degrees yesterday as I left for work at 1pm. Now at about 7am it is 2 degrees with a windchill of around -20 degrees. Last night was one of the most hazardous shifts I have ever worked. The pounding rain changed to blizzard like conditions within minutes at about 8:15pm. Merely a few minutes later and the driving conditions were drastically reduced resulting in numerous cars and semi-trucks in the ditch.

My shift was prolonged an extra 2 hours as I assisted with traffic control for a semi-truck which became stranded in the center lane of I-94 when it's brakes locked up (not a good thing). When I was finally able to get off work and drive home the blinding wind/blowing snow was ridiculous. I was forced to turn back to work because I simply could not see where I was going. For the first time in my career I had to try to get some sleep at work (try is the key word). I had heard of other guys being forced to sleep at the post, but this was a first for me. Many times I've heard the phrase "You're not a trooper until..." but I'll just leave it at that.

Finally after a few hours of closing my eyes I decided to try again. The roads were still just a slick but the wind and blinding snow had slowed enough to allow me to see the road. I left at about 6:05am and got home at about 7:10am (20 miles).

The nagging question remains: Why do I live and work in Michigan?
On days like today I simply do not know...

4 comments:

mwh said...

I laid awake in bed last night listening to the howling wind. I was filled with a mixture of fear and awe. The wind was just unbelievable. Of course there were no other sounds in my house in the middle of the night, so I could hear the house creaking and popping as it responded to the stiff wind. And it wasn't gusts; just strong, high, persistent wind. Did I say unbelievable already?

I'm glad you made it home safely. I should note to pray more for our civil servants on nights like last night.

kt said...

I'm so glad you're safe, too!

Amanda said...

Me, too!

We seemed to get a double dose of wind noises: in our bedroom right under the roof and through Nathan's baby monitor. It was a loud night!

Sarah said...

When we were in Hawaii, I asked myself this very question, "Why do I live in Maryland?"