Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Journals of Jim Elliot

January 25
Genesis 31
"Rachel and Leah manifest an attitude toward their family which I would have toward all earthly ties. There is no no longer an inheritance for me down here. I've been bought by the labors of that great Shepherd who came from afar to gain me as His bride. Lead on, Lord, whatever God's command is or wherever He may lead, I am now ready to go."

February 2
Genesis 39
"Thrice in this chapter it is stated of Joseph that "Jehovah was with him." Not only so, but Potiphar saw that "Jehovah was with him," for whatever this man put his hand to prospered. Lord, I know Thou art with me, but I fear that because my life is barren for Thee so much of the time, that you gain little glory from being with me. I pray Thee, make my way prosperous, not that I achieve high station, but that my life might be an exhibit to the value of knowing God."


Both of the above quotes were taken from The Journals of Jim Elliot.

It is quite clear that the Lord answered this prayer of Jim Elliot, that his life might be an exhibit to the value of knowing God. This man's pursuit of God demonstrated to untold multitudes the value of knowing God. He lived out the truth of his now famous quote, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Jim's wife, Elisabeth also lived a life exhibiting the value of God. She and her young daughter, along with a relative of one of the other men who was killed with Jim, went to live with the tribe who had killed the five men. Ultimately the entire murderous tribe was converted.

No comments: