Saturday, August 30, 2008

Good as an Enemy of the Ultimate

In this world we are surrounded by good things. Existing in the midst of God's creation guarantees our proximity to goodness, to many good and enjoyable things.

Yet great danger remains as the extraordinary potential exists for us to attempt to turn these good things into the ultimate thing. Our fallen nature combined with the wiles and illusions of the enemy of our souls leaves us in a rather precarious position. Hungry as we are for happiness and heart satisfaction, we are like children filling our bellies at the penny candy store when a King's glorious and nutritious 7 course feast awaits our attendance.

C.S. Lewis said it like this, "We are far too easily pleased."

May God grant us eyes to see what is truly most valuable and ultimately satisfying, namely Himself. May He grant us eyes to see the penny candies for what they really are, empty and short lived.

This is the story of mankind from the fall of Adam until today. We are continually pursuing happiness in everything else but in Him. Adam and Eve pursued it in the lie that the apple would fulfill their lives more than God would. Our problem today is the same as it was then. We too continually pursue happiness in the apples of this world. When will we realize that nothing else will satisfy our hearts like He can. If and when we realize that, what will we do about it?

I will return again to my place, until they acknowledge their guilt and seek my face, and in their distress earnestly seek me.
- Hosea 5:15

If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14

You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, LORD, do I seek."
- Psalm 27:8

"Whom have I in heaven but you, and on earth there is nothing I desire besides You."
- Psalm 73:25

No comments: