Monday, November 24, 2008

Feasting or Fasting?

Dictionary.com's definition of sustenance:

sus⋅te⋅nance

[
suhs-tuh-nuhns]
–noun
1. means of sustaining life; nourishment.
2. means of livelihood.
3. the process of sustaining.
4. the state of being sustained.

What sustains you?

After eating a meal I feel full and the hunger sensation is no longer present. Spending time in the Scriptures also grants a sense of fullness. When I don't eat for a while I begin to get hungry, so also with reading the Scriptures. There is an almost tangible sense of satisfaction after having feasted on His Word.

Deuteronomy 8:3
And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

Matthew 4:4
But he answered, "It is written, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

John 6:35
Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

John 6:48-51
I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."


Are you feasting or are you fasting?

1 comment:

JS Clark said...

That's something my fiancee's and I have been talking about these last two sabbaths. How we are three parts of one whole. The body, soul, and spirit all must east and excercise. Everything the physical body needs, the other two parts need in their version.

She actually said something about it first, but then I was reading 1 Cor 14 about spiritual gifts and it occurred to me that there are things good for the spirit that are of no benefit to the soul. Which of course makes sense in view of a three-fold salvation (body, soul, spirit).

But as you say it really is a hunger that our soul has for the word of God, just as our mouths for bread.