Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Poisonous Pleasures and the Astounding Antidote

A countless multitude are listening intently to the chorus of society as it sings to them of an illusive satisfaction. The siren songs of the world are as varied as there are stars in the heavens. There are the not so subtle songs that lure many into the dangers that have been well marked out by society. And then there are the extremely subtle songs that entice multitudes into making the good pleasures in life into ultimate pleasures. These good pleasures turned upside down into ultimate pleasures are every bit as poisonous as the notoriously dangerous pleasures.

The evidence in our world of humanity poisoned by wrong pursuits is overwhelming. It is seen in the broken families, the overcrowded orphanages and prisons, the full parking lots at the bar on Saturday night, as well as in the full parking lots of many lifeless churches on Sunday mornings. As we walk through this life we are sick, wounded, confused, and so inundated by the poison that we often don't even realize it's there.

With my heart broken at the pain and destruction in the world around me, I am grateful for hope. For there is a hope that is a great medicine for this poisoned world. The antidote for those overcome by the poisonous pleasures of this world is to be awakened unto the Ultimate Pleasure - God Himself.

The Psalmists often wrote of this majestic delight in the God of the Universe. They wrote things like:

Psalm 16:11
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 27:4
One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.

Psalm 73:25
Whom have I in heaven but you and on earth there is nothing that I desire besides you.

Psalm 19:7-11
The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.


The greatest weapon against the poisonous pleasures of this world is the Ultimate Pleasure - the Living God.

Isaiah 55:2-3b
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live.

5 comments:

mwh said...

I'm encouraged by the way you're always equipping yourself with Scripture in this battle for affections.

Unbreakable Joy said...

MWH,

I'm grateful to find this concept scattered throughout the Scriptures. This principle seems fairly foundational to me and I'm glad there's an abundance of Scriptural references to address such poisonous pleasures.

Mike said...

Benjamin, pleasure meeting you this week, my brotha! I'll add you to my blogroll.

Unbreakable Joy said...

Mike,

Nice to meet you as well. I'm looking foward to checking out your blog.

Keep in touch.

Mike said...

Ok, I've looked and looked and looked...and I can't find your profile link for your email address. Tell me if I'm dumb (I often am). Otherwise, just email me your's: supatrupa2000@gmail.com