Sunday, December 23, 2007

Journaling through the book of Job, part 2

Thoughts on chapters 6-15 in the book of Job

Job Chapters 6-15 comprise the conversations between Job and his friends who loved him enough to come and try to comfort him, but who end up bringing more accusation than consolation.

Accusing comforters?

Job replies to Eliphaz, who was the first of his friends to speak. Job remains in anguish and feels that he is standing on the very edge of the grave.

Job’s second friend, Bildad, enters the conversation and joins in the accusation:
Job you’re full of hot air. Maybe your kids died because of their own sin. Job, friend, what you need is to repent and plead for mercy that God might relent.

Job replies to Bildad. Who can contend with God. How can my feeble words diminish His wrath. He is God, He is powerful and I am not.

Job pours out his complaint to God before his friends:
Job 10:1 "I loathe my life; I will give free utterance to my complaint; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul. Job 10:2 I will say to God, Do not condemn me; let me know why you contend against me.

Zophar, friend #3, chimes in.
Job 11:14 If iniquity is in your hand, put it far away, and let not injustice dwell in your tents.

Job replies to Zophar, "I’m innocent." This is God’s doing, is it not plain for all to see? Job continues his rebuttal:
Job 13:4 As for you, you whitewash with lies; worthless physicians are you all. Job 13:5 Oh that you would keep silent, and it would be your wisdom!

Job 13:15a “Though He slay me yet will I hope in Him
This is probably one of the most potent demonstrations of hope in the completely sovereign God in the Bible. Job clearly saw that it was God's arrows that were lodged in his heart and yet magnificently Job says that his hope remains in God. Job saw in God, obviously from his knowing of Him before this unspeakable suffering, His goodness, mercy, and sovereignty. Job's knowing of God was the foundation of his hope in God.

Job does question God as to the reasons for his intense suffering. Would you bring such questions if you were in Job's place? I cannot imagine that I would do otherwise than he. Why God? Why this? Why me? Why oh Lord would you bend your bow in my direction?

Eliphaz regroups and returns for his counter attack at Job. More arrows of accusation, aimed at the heart of Job, flung sharply from the mouth of Eliphaz:
Job 15:12 Why does your heart carry you away, and why do your eyes flash, Job 15:13 that you turn your spirit against God and bring such words out of your mouth?

Friends & attempts to comfort
Lessons to be learned remain written here in the responses of Job's friends who saw not the God who reigns supreme over absolutely everything. Oh attempt not to comfort those sitting in the seat of much suffering with judgment and accusations of "surely you brought this upon yourself" or "this must be your fault."

Rather the God-loving and God-fearing friends will hold the tongue of accusation and exchange it for a loving and Scripture-sharing encouragement:
Psalm 42:11
Why cast down, oh my (your) soul, and why are you in turmoil within me (you)? Hope in God: for I (you) shall again praise Him, my (your) salvation and my (your) God.


Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

The God whom we serve is able to sustain you through whatever you may face. And more than that He can even make it ultimately work out for your good. Our God is the God who can make good come from much trouble, much sickness, and much suffering.

This vision of the God who is completely sovereign, who is good, and who never makes mistakes (even if we don't understand what it is that He is doing) is that which we must bring to our ailing acquaintances if we are to be of any aid.

No comments: