Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Unbreakable Joy

I have entitled this blog "Unbreakable Joy" not because my joy can never be broken, but because the source of my joy, God, can never be broken, nor hindered, nor can He ever be taken away from me (rather I can never be taken away from Him).

The Apostle Peter writes that this joy is inexpressible and filled with glory (1Peter 1:8-9). Experience teaches that sometimes our hearts can be so filled with joy in God and with His presence and touch that words simply cannot do this justice. Although this joy can never really be entirely expressed - because of the infinite, eternal, and ineffable nature of God - yet I (and many others) have desired to express this joy in God to the very extent of my ability.

Feeble though words may be, this joy can be somewhat expressed, although not entirely. It might be like an ant who deeply enjoys and loves the mountain on which his ant hill is built (which the ant likely imagines includes the very reaches of existence), but the ant because of it's significant limitedness cannot explore the entire mountain, nor could it fathom the glories of the countless other mountains near by, nor the depths of the oceans or the underwater mountains therein, nor the mountains on the other side of those oceans. But the ant could enjoy what the ant could experience and that is in similar fashion where God's people are in relation to enjoying God.

Here is a brief collection of a few Scriptures on our joy in the value and glory of God:

Psalm 4:7-8
You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 27:4
One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.

Psalm 16:11
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart

Psalm 65:4
Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple!

Psalm 73:25-26
Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Psalm 84:11-12
For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!

Psalm 90:14
Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

Psalm 103:10-13
He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.

Psalm 119:111
Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart.

Psalm 119:72
The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

Isaiah 29:18-19
In that day the deaf shall hear the words of a book, and out of their gloom and darkness the eyes of the blind shall see. 29:19 The meek shall obtain fresh joy in the LORD, and the poor among mankind shall exult in the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 55:2
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food.

Isaiah 58:11
And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.

Matthew 13:44-46
"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Matthew 25:21
His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.'

Luke 2:9-11
And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

John 15:11
These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

John 16:24
Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Galations 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,

Hebrews 12:2
looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Philippians 3:7-8
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ

Philippians 4:4
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.

1Peter 1:8-9
Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Jude 1:24-25
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

No comments: