Thursday, April 3, 2008

"Love one another"

John 15:12
"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

I'm sad to be able to say that the love of many Christians is greatly lacking. Christians ought not ignore each other. They ought not to neglect being involved in each other's lives. Jesus loves us in many ways and He does not neglect us, nor ignore us. Rather His Word says things like, "He will never leave you or forsake you."

John 13:35
"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

A few friends have allowed the light of their love to shine in my life recently. Simple acts of love such as phone calls, e-mails, or invitations to lunch shine like lights in the darkness of night. Maybe this is a part of what Jesus meant when He said we would be salt and light? It occurred to me that God has gone to, and continues to go to, extreme measures to show His love for us. When I consider the many ways in which I have experienced His love I'm overwhelmed because I simply do not deserve it, nor do I deserve Him. It seems this is what He meant when He said, "as I have loved you."


Out of Your way You gladly went
From glory to gloom You agreed to be sent
That Your heart might be seen by ears that now hear
That in beholding Your glory our knees might be bent,
That Your heart to us may be more revealed
You lived here and died here to pay whatever
ransom - that sinners be forgiven and healed
So we may now know You and enjoy You forever


Who is there in your life that you could go to extreme measures to show love to? Chances are maybe they too (like you and me) might not deserve it, but that didn't stop God from loving sinners like us...

No comments: