Monday, October 6, 2008

"Yet I will rejoice in the Lord"

BBC has an informative article on the worldwide economic mess. While considering the wide spread economic disaster I was reminded of the below verses.

Habakkuk 3:17-18
Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.

It occurred to me that of all who must endure these economic hardships, Christians ought to hold out the hope that they have as a medicine to those sickened by failing banks and retirement accounts. With our hope firmly fixed like Habakkuk's we may yet become salt and light in a world losing what it holds most dear. We too may have much to lose, houses, material possessions, and maybe more. There is however, One who we will never lose, One who will never crumble, nor ever remotely lose His value. This is He of whom Habakkuk referred, "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation." The circumstances surrounding Habakkuk's rejoicing were not those to be rejoiced over, but he saw through those circumstances to the One who has promised to never leave us or forsake us.

No comments: